Steel

With retirement getting closer I've decided to buy a large (to me) stock of steel. I'm looking at full lengths(3 metre) in a range of rounds, square & flats. Probably around 50 lengths, but only 1 or 2 of each size. The main reason is it's a lot easier to manage one large purchase out of my personal income, rather than a constant drip from our joint post retirement income (She just wouldn't understand!!).

The problem ?

Well I would normally be buying a nice free cutting steel, that machines to a good finish i.e. EN1A, but no one seems to be offering this in square and flat (not a problem getting it in rounds). Mostly they are offering EN3B/EN32 Which I am told does not machine very well. Anyone gor experience of this grade ?

Is EN1A still available in square & flat ? Any one know who might supply the sort of quantities I seek ?

I'm based in Oxfordshire, UK and the main use is for 4" & 6" scale traction engines, plus the normal miscellaneous workshop tools.

Any comments, Ideas ?

Thanks

John

Reply to
JB

When I need small quantities of steel I buy it from Price, Fallows Ltd in Shrewsbury. I think the steel I buy is usually grade 43A, or its equivalent. This doesn't machine well but I don't mind as I use it for fabrication. I've never bought free machining steel from Price, Fallows, but they're a very helpful company who might be able to locate it for you. I know Shrewsbury is a fair way from Oxford, but if you're thinking of buying 50 lengths it might be economical to get it delivered. You can give them a call on 01743 448344 and see what they can offer.

I've bought the odd length of free machining steel from HPC Gears

but I think they only supply it in very small quantities. Their phone number is 01246 268080 if you want to give them a try.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy