Startrite drill press spindle adjustment question

I've just set up a Startrite Mercury II drill press in my workshop and have noticed that there is a lot of radial play in the spindle; the spindle bearings appear to be OK as the top pulley doesn't move radially, only the inner spindle (quill?). Does anyone know how to adjust out the play in the spindle? TIA, Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

I have one of these and thankfully I dont have any play I think there are two bearings for the spindle ie the centre that spins. If you take off the upper Vee wheel and support the quill so it doesnt drop, you can drive down the spindle. and bearings. I had to make a drift on the lathe to drive the top bearing back in without hitting the quill. You have to support the quill again from underneath I dont think there is any adjustment for the quill ie the big shaft 50mm+ that goes up and down in the casting of the drill frame itself..at least I havent found one.

Mike

"Martin Whybrow" wrote in message news:7XH5d.153$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net... I've just set up a Startrite Mercury II drill press in my workshop and have noticed that there is a lot of radial play in the spindle; the spindle bearings appear to be OK as the top pulley doesn't move radially, only the inner spindle (quill?). Does anyone know how to adjust out the play in the spindle? TIA, Martin

Reply to
Mike D

Mike I've had a better look at it now, it appears that the bearings are not the problem but the quill is sloppy in the casting; like you said, if there is any adjustment for the quill in the bore, it isn't obvious; glad I didn't spend a fortune on it! Martin.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow