stone colours?

I recently bought a set of tools for a Dremel. There are four sets of mounted stones, white, pink, greeny-blue and greyy-blue. Do the colours mean anything, and if so what?

thx.

-- Peter Fairbrother

"And you're not a gun freak?"

"Oh no. I'm a collector. Huge difference."

"The difference being?"

"I've got more guns."

(BOFH)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

White goes with anything. Pink is only for using with close friends Greeny-Blue has to go with greeny blue items or it clashes badly And Greyy-blue is for formal occasions.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

If you google for 'mounted points' I'm sure you'll get your answers.

Reply to
Dave Baker

is for HSS

is for steel (not hardened)

Blue? Don't they test for color-blindness in the UK? :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

They do - I am slightly blue/green colour blind.

I would not call either of them green tho' - and I would eg call a green Rizla packet green, not blue. I passed the IEEEEE.. (does it ever stop) colour-coded-cables test too, it ain't serious.

Hey, I am not prettier than John anyway. Just an ordinary "please" works for me, thanks Steve.

Does that count for anything?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Ta.

What do you use for toffee-ish hardens-if-you-stop-for-an-instant horrible-to-machine alloys?

(eg inconel, esp 750X, raw copper and the like)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Oddly enough if I remember correctly Silicon Carbide stones (ie the greeny / bluey ones) are recommended for non ferrous metals, which is strange as they are also used for very hard tungsten carbide tips.

Incidentally, the colour of aloxite - aluminium oxide - stones is no firm guide to their application. White pink and blue all come in a wide range of bonds and grits to cover the spectrum of uses.

See :

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson