Powder milling

I have some plastic, that I wish to crush or mill intoa very fine powder, as fine as I can make it.

Have tried a disc with sandpaper on it, running against what I suppose looks like the end of a trumpet / cone , similar to a flour mill I guess.

Im having problems in getting the sandpaper plate to run true to the cone, because I want a very small gap, and obviously and deviation means the gap gets bigger and smaller as the plate turns.

The plate size btw is about 250mm

Any ideas on an improvement, or better still, any ideas on what else I can use, which is easily / cheaply available to produce a fine powder ?

Reply to
Ed

Why? Powder the plastic, that is.

The only powdered plastic I have seen was used for parting dust. Supposedly healthier than diatomaceous earth as a parting dust, but nowhere near as effective at keeping the insects at bay.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

A ball mill might do the job, see:

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

Would it be easier to buy this. Or is it a specific plastic you have in mind?

Powdered plastic is used for electrostatic & dip powder coatings.

You might find a local company that does dip coating that can let you have a small amount.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

No, fraid its something very specific I have in mind to do with scrap plastic I can obtain. I want to grind it into a fine powder, as quick as possible, hopefully in a continuous process

small amount.

Reply to
Ed

That's an interesting web site. I'm surprised that you can buy Uranium238 by mail order -although I noticed that they won't export it outside the USA.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Ball mills won't mill plastic.

I'd suggest a round wood rasp in a suitable gently conical shape. Cut slots along the inside of the cone, using your shaper of course, and rotate the rasp.

A hefty meat grinder/mincer might work too.

You can buy it in the UK, or rather you can get natural uranium - Goodfellow sell it (at a price), as do several other people.

Depleted uranium (U238) is paradoxically harder to get hold of, even though it should be safer.

Today's trivia: Uranium was once mined in Merrivale Quarry, Tavistock, Devon.

You can even buy uranium in ton lots (eg for the keels of racing yachts), but then you have to do some paperwork. Especially if you are sailing to foreign countries ...

-- Peter Fairbrother

"And you're not a gun freak?"

"Oh no. I'm a collector. Huge difference."

"The difference being?"

"I've got more guns."

(BOFH)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Ed, Do you know what plastic it is because if it was originally used for cheap goods manufacture then it would certainly have fine " talcum powder", cant remember what talc is made off, as a bulking agent in it to reduce the amount of plastic used and if it a Thermo plastic then this does not take to melting easily if at all more than once, i.e. material used for making car head light bodies.

Reply to
campingstoveman

small amount.

Try a belt sander with a shop vacuum cleaner attached to the dust port.

Reply to
Mark Rand

I have about 10 oz of uranium. 0.2" dia x 0.4" long balancing weights. I had assumed that it was tungsten until I measured its density.... Don't, as yet, know if it's DU or natural, but it's in a container out in the garage. Does this make me a terrorist :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

How about inside a freezer? Or in liquid nitrogen?

Reply to
Newshound