Stuart petrol engines, anyone ?

I was at the council dump at Exmouth on Friday. This is one of those places that accept junk and turn it into gold, then sell it. They had a pair of Stuart magneto engines, both slightly disassembled. I think there was one magneto missing and maybe a few other parts.

If they'd been cheap enough to throw away, I'd have had them .. but not knowing much about them, it didn't seem worth the risk. However, if anyone wants them for 25 quid each (maybe a bit less if you haggle) they're probably still there.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

What kind of dump is that? Our council tip is staffed by jobs-worth trained numpties who pick over everything themselves but won't let us, the ratepayers, take anything out. Not a thing - "that's theft from the council that is"

And off topic her indoors keeps moaning about the councils that have garden compost schemes; not our lot.

Name and shame - Leeds.

Grumpy old man mode off...

John

Reply to
John Blakeley

...and I should have added - none of it's for sale either.

John Blakeley

My local tip at Bedford is like that. It used to be run by gypsies who were rather more accomodating. The story is that the Exmouth tip was run by a scrappie (see another thread ..) who retired a millionaire; someone else has now got the contract but the scheme is similar.

Cambridge tips also seem to be open to local negotiation. I don't know why Bedford (and Leeds) won't allow it : possibly some hierarchy that's frightened all the good scrap will line someone else's pockets instead of their own.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

East Northants has a policy of allowing sales to the public of reclaimed items, can be quite good, but a lot of it is obviously a load of rubbish!

I don't know if the one in Rushden is run on a contract basis or by the local council.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes