"Red" petrol

Hi,

Does HMC&E have any mechanisium for the general public to get petrol without the 60 odd p/l Road Use Duty. Either buying without the duty or getting a refund. I resent paying Road Use Duty on the petrol I burn for non-road use, strimmer, mower, generator (see post on small diesels...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't think so. My father-in-law in Northern Ireland used to buy red petrol for the 20-odd ancient tractors he has on his dairy farm. Some years ago he was told by BP(?) that they were withdrawing the manufacture of the stuff, as there was no longer any sizable demand for it, almost everything now running on DERV.

It's probably still in the statute books somewhere, but you can't physically obtain it (AFAIK).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't mind what colour it is provided I either don't pay or can get my 60 odd p/l back from HMC&E...

I guess it would be to open to fraud though, they seem to have enough trouble with red diesel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Diesel fraud ? You should see rural Northern Ireland ! It's so prevalent it has even stamped out the old trade in smuggling it across the border.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

engine is taxable, any provable non engine use , lets say as a solvent in some process for example, then the excise duty would be reclaimable. If thousands of people all claimed for 100 ml for cleaning paint brushes, we could clog the system and bring down the government , I dont think. The guy was very helpful though. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Well that's wrong for starters.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"R L Driver" wrote (snip):-

No, they'd probably just do you for improper use of organic solvents instead!

Reply to
Nick H

As a statement it probably isn't, HMC7E do make the distinction between burning for heat or burning in an engine. Red diesel carries duty but only a few pence/l rather than the full road duty of many tens of pence.

I may have a dig about but I suspect getting a refund of the road duty paid on petrol but not used in a road vechicle will be well hidden if it exists all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not on petrol and not on the mainland at least, there is some sort of scheme for paying the tax on rebated gasoil in some offshore communities IIRC.

Not much choice on two strokes, other than methanol and castrol R I suspect. You do have the possibility of using propane for four stroke spark ignition. This should cut your fuel costs by 50% on a straight comparison of calorific value, assuming buying the propane at

28p/litre and petrol at 80p/litre.

AJH

Reply to
sylva