source of leaded petrol (or equivalent)

Spring is upon us, my grass is growing, it's time
to break out the vintage mower - Ransomes Marquis,
Villiers F12 engine.
Trundled down the local garage (Morrisons) with the red
can and found ... no LRP petrol. Checked around town;
none to be had.
So - how do I run my mower? I know that a little unleaded
won't hurt it in the short term, but what should I do?
Are there additives available?
BugBear
Reply to
bugbear
Yep, available from Halfords for example. Around a fiver and will last a lifetime in a mower.
Reply to
Jeremy
Shouldn't hurt in the long term TBH - unless you're using it commercially.
Morris makes this: Superblend Zero Lead 2000
One of the few approved additives IIRC.
Reply to
sweller
It's expensive, would have been stored for a while and really isn't worth it - IMO of course.
Reply to
sweller
Xpost cut
I doubt octane rating is an issue so something to protect the valve seats is probably what's needed.
I've seen the classic car lot recommend Miller's VSP and google immediately gives:
I use a similar product from Morris in the MGB, it still pinks like hell even on the optimax type petrol but as I only pootle around and do very low mileage so I've left the ignition just slightly retarded.
I am told that avgas from a local flying club is still laced with lead and 105 octane.
There is still one chain of petrol stations that sells leaded for car enthusiasts, some sort of exemption if total sales are below a small percentage of the whole.
As it's valve recession that lead inhibits I suppose a head insert and possibly higher grade valve is all that is necessary and totally invisible to the outside.
AJH
Reply to
sylva
What date was the mower made?
If it's old enough it will have been produced before leaded petrol.
Most stationary engines of the type discussed here run quite happilt on unleaded.
Regards, Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur G
After many years repairing older and some much younger mowing vehicles/machines I had it on good authority (Textron themselves....Used to be Ransomes-Jacobson) that the long term effects of unleaded in the engine you describe will be un-noticeable as it doesn't run for long enough nor high enough revs to make and significant difference or have any wear differences.
HTH
Reply to
Robbo
With this, it appears that you can 'roll your own'
Normal disclaimers. Roger
Reply to
Roger Glover
50's or 60's I suspect. The Villiers F-12 is a simple single cyclinder engine
I suspect my mower is a little younger than any stationary engine considered "interesting".
Thanks to all; if I see some additive somewhere convenient, I'll buy it, otherwise (on balance of opinions offerred) I'll run unleaded.
BugBear
Reply to
bugbear
You didn't use to play bass guitar with Deep Purple, did you?
Reply to
Champ
I thought he still did. Aren't DP still doing the odd gig now and then?
Not that I'd have anything to do with the Devil's music, of course. Only my ex was one of Grace Gillan's[1] nannies around 1984ish, so I have a tenuous link to the band.
[1] Ian and Bron's daughter. She's about the same age as my Caz.
Reply to
Lozzo
Ahem. Leaded petrol was developed in order to inhibit pre-ignition in high performance aero engines at the very peak of their development. The practice was continued into post-war petrol supply in order to use lower octane petrol in higher performance motor vehicles than they would otherwise tolerate. It is true that the lead did no harm at all to valve seats and guides in highly stressed engines, but the point is that unless your mower is fitted with a desmodromic Ducati racing engine or a sawn off Merlin, it will run very cheerfully for an extended period on Pool petrol - which rarely reached the 85 octane rating that was loosely attached to it.
Honestly, change the oil each spring (using a decent SAE 40 like Duckhams) & use unleaded straight from the pump. If you just add a squirt of modern two-stroke oil as an upper cylinder lubricant, it will be enjoying far better lubrication than its maker ever envisaged!
Usual disclaimers as I have always avoided hubris!
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
In spring, a man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of getting his motorcycle on the road!
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
FWIW I ran a 1300 cc Fiat Uno on unleaded from from 56,000 miles to 136,000 miles & if the body hadn't fallen apart I'd be running it now on unleaded ! I also did about 40,000 miles using unleaded in a 1500 Allegro. Both engines had first on leaded. ----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com -----------------------------------------------------------
Reply to
jrlloyd
Hi Champ,
Unfortunately not but, 15 years ago, I did work alongside a David Coverdale! When announced at external meetings or conferences it was quite amusing to see certain people suddenly 'wake up'. Perhaps we should have offered to have a go at 'Smoke on the Water' on spoons during the breaks (not). :-)
Roger
Reply to
Roger Glover
heh - nice one.
Reply to
Champ
"John Manders" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:
Still supplied to the gen pub too.
tallbloke
I thought that leaded petrol was still made for aviation use.
John
Reply to
John Manders