Surface grinder or shaping tool

I'm looking for advice/opinions...(do you think I'll get any here??)

I'm looking at preparing accurately sized plates for knife making 4"x2" max... What I'm wondering, is which way to go.. Surface grinder, or shaping machine. My workshop, is getting full, and worry about grit contamination from a surface grinder, but will a shaping machine produce results similar. I suppose the shaping machine also has cost in its favour as well. Any advice much appreciated, and has anyone got/used the Warco/Chester style surface grinders.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

What type of knife ? a machine knife or a hand knife ? if its the latte

why would you not forge the rough shape and use a jig linisher

-- olmo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- olmod's Profile:

this thread:

olmod

Er, chalk and cheese IMO, you can't use either to do the jobs that the other will do.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I'm looking to make side plates and blade blanks for a folding pocket knife. I compared both machines in terms of finishing, or surfacing components, and other jigs fixtures I may need.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

I'd agree with Peter on this one, the machines are used for very different tasks. A shaper will remove large amounts of metal, but best finish will be similar to milling wheras a surface grinder will give a much better surface finish, but only removes a fraction of a 'thou at a time. Surface grinders can also be used for machining hardened steel (possibly of use sharpening your blades).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele