Tadco Autogard 250

I have recently aquired a Tadco Autogard 250 tapping device with a No2 Morse Taper shank. Before I bust any taps can anybody tell me how they work. Does this device slip when a suitable torque is reached for a particular tap. The end of the thing rotates and screws in and there is a scale which has numbers that do not relate to any thing obvious. Sadly there was no instruction book.

Reply to
Anzaniste

IIRC the setting figures were on the box lid.Doesn`t matter anyway,these things were never exact and depend on hole size,tap type,speed,depth of thread etc etc. We machine tap 100`s to 10,000`s of holes a week and never use tapping attatchments and very rarely break taps either,as a percentage of holes tapped. If you must use your Autogard,wind the setting collar back a bit until it slips when you tap a hole which is the correct size for the NEW tap you will be using,wind it on slightly and you are there.If this does not sound to technical,tough cos it`s as good as these things ever get. Remember these things are from an age long gone.Forty-fifty years ago anyway.

Reply to
mark

Yes but does it slip if the tap bottoms out?

Reply to
Anzaniste

Engineers set the machine so it does not bottom out and you will spend a lot of time tapping holes if you think otherwise.

Reply to
mark