tailstock chuck dilema

Hello group, Due to illness I have been forced to reduce the scale of my engineering activities, thus this is my first posting to this group. I hope it is relevant! I have purchased a very small second-hand lathe (it has no identifying manufacturers mark). It appears to have been manufactured to imperial standards. The tailstock id fitted with a dead centre which is in a parallel bore of

0.75 inch with a keyway and a thread which protrudes from the back of the tailstock for adjustment. I would like to replace the dead centre with a chuck (preferably at least 3/8 inch capacity, but all the tailstock chucks I can find have a morse taper fitting. Does anyone make an adaptor or is there some recognised way of overcoming this problem. In case it becomes relevant, the height of the dead centre point above the bed is 2.5 inches and the top of the bed on which the tailstock runs is a dovetail 2 inches wide.

TIA Peter

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

This sounds like a Taig lathe on my side of the pond, a Peatol on yours. Does the picture at the top of show your lathe?

In any case, they make Jacobs chucks with a variety of threaded holes to fit onto hand drills. One of those is what you need, 3/8-24 if the lathe is a Taig/Peatol.

And plan to spend an evening browsing around the

site, a treasure trove of information about the lathe.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

I think I have found something similar to what I need. On ebay is an item described as DRILL CHUCK ARBOR 1/2" STRAIGHT SHANK x 3/8-24 THREAD but I would need one 3/4 inch dia. Peter

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

Peter, surely this is a simple turning job that can be completed without the tailstock so you could make your own. JT6 on the end or similar to suit the chuck (better than the threaded types)and parallel turn the rest.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to