Tapping size

Gentlemen,
Can anyone tell me the tapping size of a 11/16ths UNF tap, I know its a bastard size, I have bought a tap but none of my books give a drill size for
it. Its for Landrover track rod ends.
Martin P
--
snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com

Semper in Excrementem Altitudo Solus Varius
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:29:45 -0000, "campingstoveman"

Can't precisely help you Martin, but thereis a calculator you can use here: http://www.natool.com/engdata/data13.php
Peter
campingstoveman wrote:

MH gives, for 1-1/2D to 3D depth of engagement as between 0.651-0.655" so 21/32" drill is pretty close @ 0.65625"
Tom

What is the pitch? 5/8" is 18 tpi, 3/4 is 16.
I've got an 11/16" UNS tap, 16 tpi, in my hand which is marked 'use 5/8" drill'.
Tip
Tim Leech wrote:

My MH gives 11/16" UNF as 24 tpi. As the pitch wasn't quoted...
Tom

TomHi, yes that one confused me a bit although on my lists it is quoted as 11/16" UNEF (Extra Fine??). Not having a track rod to look at I couldn't confirm but from memory I thought they were fairly fine but perhaps not quite that fine? I still haven't found a finite spec but at least the practical approach seems to have worked for Martin.
Regards
Keith
Tim Leech wrote:

Missed the UNS, not UNF is it? :-)
Tom

That's why I asked the pitch. So far as I can see, there is no 11/16" UNF defined, but if there were to be one it would be either 16 or 18 tpi. 11/16" UNS is probably the best offer ;-)
Tim
Tim Leech wrote:

> UNS stands for Unified Special.
Tom

I was very well aware of that.
Tim
Tim Leech wrote:

I'm terribly sorry, I won't mention it ever again! :-( BTW, list, is there a cure for frostbite?
Tom
Tom wrote:

None that I know of besides avoidance.
Why? Freeze some bits? Or just feeling a chill around here? :-)
If you froze any of your body parts, see a doctor. And be prepared to suffer the cold forever after, as frostbit parts will be suceptible to cold, pretty much forever after.
Infections and gangrene are real risks.
This is my weather.30 below, and blowing. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAAB0075
Faaaaaaaarkkkkkkkk!
Time to crawl back under a warm blanket.
Cheers Trevor Jones

Gee, why do they call it Cold Lake?
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

'Cause of the Palm trees, of course!
The lake here is deep. Plus side of 300 feet. It does not warm up much in the summer.
Lake trout fishing is pretty good right now. I was out on the lake on Saturday, and it was a beauty day, sunshine, almost no wind, and hovering just below zero. Only caught 1 fish, not a keeper.
This kind of weather costs me too much. Staying indoors, leads me to ebay. :-)
Cheers Trevor Jones

Tom
Yes, I think it should be UNS at 16TPI, at least that is what the LR4X4 forum thinks it is. I suspect the chart I quoted was actually a missprint and called it UNF instead of UNS. It is also a fairly common size used on some plumbing fittings so I suppose it could be called "special". As UNS it is listed fairly often with the tapping drill at 5/8", as of course is 11/16UNEF at 24TPI with a tapping drill of 16.6mm.
Regards
Keith
jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

> Well everyone is in on the act. I made some shackle pins the other day for the roller I'm playing with and just to be different they had a 5/8" 16 tpi thread, instead of 14 tpi which is the standard for 5/8" BSF.
Tom
Gentlemen,
Just to put you out of your agony :-)) it is a 11/16 16tpi unf and I do find mention in my machinery's handbook.
Martin P

Martin Hi,
Depends really on what sort of thread engagement you need for the thread. If it is 11/16 X 16UNF the tapping drill is listed as 5/8" here: http://www.advancefasteners.com/Inventory_16.php?ProdID=XAB4
That would give a 77% thread engagement using the calculator that Peter pointed to.
A 15.5mm drill would give 95% thread and ensure a broken tap I feel
The 21/32" that Tom recommends would give a 40% thread and could be a bit loose for your needs.
I think I might go with the 5/8" listed on the chart but I know nothing about track rod ends and the required thread engagement. it is also a bit early so I should check my calculations yourself before drilling.
Keith
Gentlemen,
Thank you, my brother and I used a 5/8 drill on a test piece and it works very well, we had calculated 15.5 but couldn't even get the taper tap to start. Now we will tap the required part. Thanks all for help.
Martin P

http://internalfire.com/modules.php?set_albumName mpingstoveman&op=modload&name=PubGallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

It`s 5/8".We manufacture Land Rover track rods,hope your not going into competition.:-)
http://www.4allfours.co.uk/sumo.htm
Mark.