Changewheel lubrication

I recently noted that a lathe owner was lubricating his changewheels with "Chainsaw oil", as it was "sticky" and did not fly off the
wheels. Any comments?
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:32:47 +0000, Richard Edwards

Chainsaw bar oil will work. It is also likely to leave a tarry/gummy lacquer all over the gears and covers if you leave it on for any length of time. Father used it. Took me a long time to clean his lathe after he died
220 weight way lube works quite well, but will foam up a bit at high speeds. Lithium grease is surprisingly effective and quiet running. If the lathe is like a Myford with the hollow mandrel ending in the gear box, then stuff a bit of rag down the hole in the left hand end of the mandrel and only ever remove it by pushing towards the right. This will keep most of the swarf off the gears, make them last longer and run quieter.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:23:15 +0000, Mark Rand

Thanks for the tips Mark.
--

Richard Edwards wrote:

> I find any of the Open Gear Lube aerosols the best, Mobil or Rocol.
Tom

Sounds the best option, its designed for the job! ;-)