Tether Cars

Sorry if this is not the right forum but I have to start somewhere.

Does anyone know anything about the tether car scene in the UK during the

1940s and 50s? My father used to race them somewhere in London at that time and I would like to find out where it might have been. He said it was a large hall with the floor above supported on big stone pillars, behind which he used to hide while his car was running at some insane speed. He told me that he briefly held the UK record which, if true, I hope might be recorded somewhere. I have Googled quite a bit and turned up sites for US and Australian tether cars, but nothing for the UK. Any ideas for sources of info gratefully received.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Manley

try pylon racers

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Kevin,

There are quite a few articles in the Model Engineering magazines. I have a heap of old ones from doing research into old lathes, and they come up all the time on e-bay. I could quickly dive into them over the weekend and see what I find. Was this a weekly thing or could you be taking about the ME exhibition at the Royal Horticultural Halls, which was every one or two years.

I'll have a dig around if no one comes up with the definitive list. I have found a mention of it coming over from amercia in 1943 and a summary in the July20th 1950 ME mag which suggests there were clubs at several locations in the country of which the nearest to London mentioned was Weybridge. Winning cars averaged in excess of 110mph !! That is indeed an insane speed. Steve

Reply to
Steve

during the

behind which

sources of

Kevin,

There is a chap called Eric Offen, who works for G&M Tools (

) who collects / is very knowledgable about tether cars.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Manley

Steve,

Thank you. Please don't spend ages on it, but if you can come up with anything from your mags that would be great. I think the racing was a fairly regular thing. We lived in Woolwich at the time, so maybe Weybridge would have been feasible. Royal Horticultural Halls actually rings a bell. Do you know if racing was limited to the ME exhibition or could it have been used for that purpose in between times?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Manley

Thanks Andrew, I shall see if I can get in touch with him.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Manley

Andrew,would this be the same Eric Offen who advertises stuff on the Homeworkshop pages? regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Kevin,

Have found a bit more info. As far as I can tell the racing of tethered cars was on the margins of what the Model Engineering people thought should be included in their magazine. Going like the clappers round in circles being outside what they thought was OK, but building the engine being a different matter. Coverage of the activity is therefore a bit patchy. I have found a letter in the Model Engineer magazine for March

21st 1951 defending the sport. He refers to the MCA (presumably model or miniature car association) as if they set the rules for competitions, and invited anyone to come to the Edmonton MCC meetings. The letter is from a Mr L.A.Manwaring of South Woddford. That sounds like the East end of London to me.

Track to show models in action including the Pioneer Model Racing Car Club, for the Model Car Association (so that at least nails down MCA). By the 1952 exhibition they had a very sophisticated car display track involving left and right hand bends, so I presume tethered cars had been replaced by slot cars. The circular track was in the middle of the main exhibition area, so would have been only for the show.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

This sport is still going, although nowhere near as popular as it's heyday in the 50's. Check out this site for some more info, the links may lead to some history.

Also note the speeds -200mph+

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

You could have some fun and make a bit of cash with a scale model speed camera. :-)

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Golly yes, 330 kph - no wonder my dad used to hide behind a pillar. Thanks to everyone, you have all been most helpful. Best regards, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Manley

Yes I believe so - I have his contact details but it's not fair to publish them on an open forum hence giving the G&M contact

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew,I don`t want his details.I used to look at his ads and think his prices were nearly as bad as G & M`s. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark