Engineer v Manager

An engineer was walking to work when a hot air balloon loomed low overhead;-

Balloonist - "Excuse me! Can you tell me where I am?"

Engineer (making rapid calculations)- "Certainly! You are standing in a wicker basket, suspended below an envelope containing 40,000 cubic feet of air, warmed to a temperature that is 15°C above ambient"

B - "You must be an engineer!"

E - "Quite correct! How did you guess?"

B - "Because, although your reply is factually 100% accurate, it is totally irrelevant to the current situation and is not helpful in the least. In fact, I would have been better off not descending to talk to you at all."

E - "I see. Are you by chance a manager?"

B - "Err..yes. How did you tell?"

E - " Because you've set out on an enterprise that you are manifestly unprepared or untrained for. You have no idea of your current status, or your destination......and now that everything has gone wrong you are looking to blame somebody beneath you. Good day!"

Reply to
Henry Springer

Nice one :-)

In our company the true high flyers have something called 'helicopter vision'. That must be some sort of blurred vision caused by incessant noise, harsh vibration and complete disorientation caused by being completely disconnected in every sense from those on the ground.

We are far more advanced than companies that merely have hot air balloon vision ! Helicopter vision costs more money for one.

Oh boy, this could run and run....

Reply to
Steve