pro Engineer crash in sketch mode

This happened many times. It only happens when I am in sketch mode. Few times I tried to drag a rectangle to select a group of feature and then the whole Pro/e window just disappeared. Another crash is when I scroll the wheel to zoom out in sketch mode.

I am using pro/E 3.0 but same problem happens to the 2.0 version. Also back in school I was using educational version, same thing happened.

I talked to the custom service but they do not have effective solution. Can anybody enlighten me on this? Thanks.

Reply to
nianyb

This happened many times. It only happens when I am in sketch mode. Few times I tried to drag a rectangle to select a group of feature and then the whole Pro/e window just disappeared. Another crash is when I scroll the wheel to zoom out in sketch mode.

I am using pro/E 3.0 but same problem happens to the 2.0 version. Also back in school I was using educational version, same thing happened.

I talked to the custom service but they do not have effective solution. Can anybody enlighten me on this? Thanks.

I don't think we'll have any more luck than PTC in proposing the definitive solution but we can give you some hints as to where to look. First, this isn't a common problem. In thinking about crashes, I can't even remember the last time Pro/e crashed. The only time I've had serious crashing problems was on Unix boxes (HPUX 10) and the problem was principally graphics hardware and driver related. One thing you can do to give the technical folks a better idea of what caused this problem is to find a file called traceback.log. Or a file with a .err extension may also contain some useful information. There's also the issue of how well the OS supports OpenGL and we've heard that Vista has its problem with drivers and OpenGL. I think I've also heard that graphics problems are compounded by USB wheel mice, possibly because of their high resolution. The simplest thing I can think of would be to try a simple three button PS2 mouse. Also, check what the recommended video drivers are for your system and make sure there are no reported incompatibilities of your card with Pro/e. Look here for supported/certified systems and components:

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Using XP: We found that reverting to the windows classic interface & turning off all the whizz bang screen effects (in My Computer - Advanced - Settings - set for best performance) improved system stability considerably.

Reply to
John.R.Wade

Plus your computer screen doesn't look stupid any more.

Reply to
graminator