Showing an axis in a drawing (please help this former Pro/E user)

I am new to Solidworks 2006, having used Pro/E for the past 5 years. I am working on my first drawing, and I would like to replicate something I used to do in Pro...

I would like to create a datum axis in the Sketcher mode that I can turn on / show in my drawing. When I print the drawing, I want the axis to show up as a cross-hair without a name. I have tried creating the axis in the model itself (not in the Sketch view) and showing it on the drawing, but it prints with the axis title.

In Pro, I would have created the axis point in the feature sketch in the model. When I wanted to use it on my drawing, I would have used a show/erase function to show the axis.

Thanks for the help,

Carey

Reply to
cryerson

Go to Insert-->Reference Geometry-->Axis Be sure that the axis is above your sketch in the feature tree, drag it if you have to. Right click on it to show or hide(be sure the View-->Axes is selected)

Reply to
Rocco

How do I make the drawing print without showing the axis name (Axis3 is shown to the upper-right of the crosshair).

Reply to
Carey

"Carey" wrote

Well, it's not pretty, but you could re-name the axis "nothing" - that is, replace the name with a space.

Hopefully someone else knows a better way to do this.

Reply to
Debbie Dowding

I don't know for sure what the shape is that you want the axis over, so think about these options.

If you want an axis between a couple parallel edges, etc, use the centerline tool. If you want a crosshair set of axes through a hole, use the centerline tool. If you want to show something out in the middle somewhere, put a construction line in your drawing and then locate it with a mate or reference to the geometry in the view. An example is putting a line in and then making it collinear to a center plane in the model.

The point here is to put the datum axis in the drawing and reference it to the geometry, rather than trying to pull it forward from the model.

WT

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany