We need an engineer for this?

Oscilloscopesmessageboard"

Reply to
frameworka

fwiw - unless you are living under a big powerline, it sounds like a bad ground, and the oscilloscope probe is picking up the 60 cycle power that is everywhere there is power. What you see radiates from the wires in your walls when power is used, and the probes are so sensitive that sine curve must be referenced out of the display.

But just in case it isn't, get a field strength meter (back away from the meter so as to read it from a few feet away so as not to shunt it with your body), taking readings in different rooms and in outdoor spaces. Map your house and outdoor space, and put the readings on a gridded plan view. Either you will find it's pretty even everywhere with higher readings near your running electrical appliances, i.e., normal and from your own wires, or you will also find the readings on your map get stronger as you move to one point on the map - the source.

BTW - _IF_ the source is the power pole, advise the power company you have mapped with a field strength meter to find some interference, and the readings max out at the power pole, so it looks like they have a leaky transformer. They will be out to check with their own meters.

(BTW, do not elaborate to them much further than that you mapped the area with a field strength meter. Many people complain without experience or background, and the more they talk, the less credible they become.)

Reply to
hob

Possible,,, yes. Pratical NO

Off chance this is not a troll.

There are lots of "feild strength meters" available that will measure different frequencies and their strength. Pick a manufacture of electronic equipment and search.

Please provide information on the "fields" hurting the structure and the paint. Especially the paint. I would love to see your "scientific" proof of the claim. THIS I GOTTA SEE.....

Reply to
SQLit

As any engineer will tell you, your home is bathed in electromagnetic fields of varying intensity. This is what allows you to make cell phone calls, watch TV with an indoor antenna, and listen to the radio.

The FCC seldom gets involved unless you are having a specific problem. The low frequency 60 cycle field from powerlines have been mentioned by a previous poster. That would be something you would have to check with your power company, not the FCC.

Historically, homes have also exhibited strange phenomena when they are built too close to AM Broadcast Transmitters, high power microwave transmitters (including weather radar stations), and possibly if your neighbor is a ham radio operator operating at full power. If the latter is the case, they are unlikely to shut him down but they do expect both he and you to take steps (install filters, etc.) to mitigate the problem.

So what specifically is the problem?

If you don't know the source or the frequency of your RF interference, the type of equipment you want to use is called a spectrum analyzer, and they used to be fairly exotic and expensive, until recently.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

People who think they are suffering ill effects from electromagnetic fields in an ordinary home not near a power station or radio transmitter need psychiatry rather than engineering. There is more scientific evidence for psychiatric problems than there is for EMF ill effects other than cooking like in a microwave oven.

In my humble non-medical opinion, even close to a power station or a transmitter, the chances of mental illness is probably greater than that of somatic illness from EM fields.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
<salmonegg

There is coupling between the power lines and a high impedance scope probe. But it is almost certain that it is capacitive coupling rather than radiative coupling.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
<salmonegg

He just needs to line his hat with aluminum foil.

Reply to
gfretwell

Check your telephone directory for "Mental Health Professionals". The ones who are associated with the County Health Department might have "oscilloscope experts" who can help you with this. Tell them your address and the problem when you call them.

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Sir or Madam, you appear to be to be worried about your health and/or safety. From the information you have you have so far provided it would be difficult to isolate your problem. I can offer some generalized thoughts. "Waves" come in many types from the subsonic pulsating of the earth to ultraviolet radiation of the sun. radio stars or Pulsars are also sources of "waves". Most of these waves are very friendly especially after being filtered by the earths ionosphere. many people today are worried about the effects of manmade "waves" such as broadcast, communications, power lines, even cell phones. In the United States the types of energy believed to be harmful are closely regulated and broadcasters are required to measure and comply with strict guidelines. This requires expensive equipment and a certain amount of know-how to take measurements and interpret results. If there are no transmit facilities close to you (say about 1kM or closer) it would probably not be necessary to make any measurements. If you neighbor is a source of "waves", as say an amateur radio operator, the legal limit in the US is 1kw and most use far less for their hobby. thousands and thousands of amateurs, CB operators, fire and police, and millions of cell phone users generate "waves" with no seeming adverse effect.

While in this short post I can neither be completely comprehensive not totally accurate on what is a fairly complex subject, my feeling is you might be having a series of small issues that seem like one big problem. Buzzes in the radio or lines on a TV can often be solved by a little thought and experimentation. Try to tackle your issues one at a time and pretty soon things may look a whole lot better.

best of luck, Tim

Reply to
TimPerry

Moreover, when I was buying IEEE insurance, people who would be exposed to all these fields, The premium decreased for a number of years in a row because members were not dying off as fast as the rest of the USA.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
<salmonegg

Directly opposite the line-of-sight windows belonging to the neighbors, on our walls at places like where my husband's head is when he sleeps, and where he works in his office, at the place where the "whatever" field appears to hit the wall, our house outside is deteriorating. Specific places that are small (from 5 inches across to several feet across) and stand out in a normal surrounding of normally undamaged paint and wood shingles; paint and wood being damaged, paint and wood pieces vanishing into the universe in cracks and indentations from out of the air. Actually, if you look in your city opposite the telephone and cable boxes that are up on their specific lines, I have noticed that other houses are also showing the same cracked paint type of damage. What is difficult to also notice is whether other people are being hurt behind the structure. No one seems to be mentioning it, and doing so brings danger of being called a troll. Gee thanks, I guess. Self defense is still understandable in 2005, I think. Steel electrical plates, backed with mirrors which reflect back whatever it is, appear to re-hit the neighbors, who react at times, and stop the original RF or whatever. Serves them right, is the understatement. I would like to provide the information on the fields if I can figure out what to do to do that. What is a troll anyway? Shreck? A movie industry construct? Why would trolls not be protected, if I may inquire.

Reply to
frameworka

Thank you Tim.

Reply to
frameworka

Your interesting reply is definitely an addition to my thoughts. I would infer from this mention of your insurance, as well as your life expectancy, that your earlier responses might go glove in glove with a profession in the very fields that we are being bothered by... I feel fairly sure that you are a good person basically, so why push people with genuine IEEE problems away from solving the real field problem hurting their house and health? It has been proven for a very long time that being protected from many fields is important to health. And it has been proven for a very long time that many people like the government have been manipulating wave bombardments, ever since the U.S. stole the idea from the Russians...

Reply to
frameworka

Thank you for the advice.

Reply to
frameworka

FW Those are not radio frequency waves in the sense that you believe. It is actually called "Extraterrestrial Photon Bombardment" The insidious source is a nuclear ET located 146 million km (1AU = 91 million miles) and occurs for hours at a time. People have been burned and blinded by this ET.

snipped-for-privacy@isp.com wrote:

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I think that you protest too much. You know that there are rules for safety with this type of thing. I suppose those making the rules need psychiatry also?

Reply to
frameworka

i would challenge anyone to come up with a practical "wave" generator that could do this (damage house paint) at the distance described AND not burn down the house. the device would need to meet all the conditions so far described including being invisible or completely disguised. (and you can't use any "technology" from the freepower site either) it could also emply no more power then what is localy avalible i.e. residential power.

baseball feilds? football feilds? cow pastures? unless you specify what kind of feilds your statement / complaint has no validity.

And it has been proven for a very long

these were annoying to ham radio operators and short-wave listeners but posed no threat to health or safety. (see "the Russian woodpecker")

ever since the U.S. stole the idea from the Russians...

im not sure the russions have had an origional idea since sputnick... but i dont keep up to date on thier progress.

i think your best choices at this point are to strip the paint replace such wood as needed and repaint with high quality exterior latex or install aluminum siding.

Reply to
TimPerry

We've been through this {

If you can't rig a Shield from the O'Scopes readings, all you need to do is wear your aluminum foil hat on at peak hours to bounce the waves back to the system };-) Don't forget to ground it to Earth.

Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

You forgot to tell them to test the ground connection by sticking their tongue into a live lamp socket.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell