The workshop... three phase

After getting back from Harrogate on Friday evening I found that the GPO hat delivered a quote from what used to be East Midlands Electricity.

The quote is to dig a hole in the pavement and to attach a splice into the cable that is under it and pull said cable though the ducting that I have laid, in the trench that I have dug, with the pull rope that I have run, to the meter board that I have sited in my house, containing the 100A isolator that I have supplied.

The price is £1,147.16 plus VAT at 0%.

Whilst, in earlier times, this would result in being hanged for highway robbery, it is, still more practicable than trying to stretch the single phase supply out using invertors or rotary convertors.

Just in case anyone wants to know what is involved in getting a three phase supply.

Progress is documented intermittently on:-

The webcam is a bit unreliable at the moment, because its on an old nail that belongs in a landfill, that has a LAN card that belongs in a museum.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Gee, to think that EME did ours for about £300 back in 1986! OK, we had to have the existing single-phase cable replaced anyway as they said it was not up to standard, but the new 3-ph cable was at the other end of our double-ended house and workshop and we laid the new ducting just as you have done.

Worth it though, you can't beat a proper 3-phase supply!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It was a set price at one time to have a service installed. We had ours in about the same time as Peter and it was £200 by EMEB. I think they knocked that on the head when they had to start running miles across new industrial estates for £200 quid a pop

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

A few years back I bought some night storage heaters from Eastern Electricity and they put the three phase supply in FOC in the hope of selling more juice!

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Damn! that's what I should have done. If I had said on the form that there was going to be 40kW of electrical heating instead of some motors and a welder they might have given me a better price.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Have you tried to buy a storage heater lately ??

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Fitted a new one in a friend's house in France a couple of months back. Why, are they getting difficult to find in the UK?

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt