Thread on a Myford ML7?

I am trying to identify the thread in the tapped hole in the lug on the headstock at 3 o'clock position (looking from the tailstock.) The ML7 is about 30 years old - K114896

A simple shield to stop the occasional spray of oil from the front bearing would be nice, and this is a good fixing point.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can identify the thread.

regards

Peter

Reply to
orrerymaker

If you can screw in something soft (e.g. suitably sized wooden dowel) you could use a thread gauge on the item (after unscrewing) to get the pitch.

This should provide a "clue".

You can also measure the thread's core diameter by trial and error.

These 2 pieces of info may be enough to ID (or reduce the possibilities) the thread.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Peter, I've just checked on my ML7 (K130898) Thought it was similar vintage but from number perhaps somewhat later. It is 3/8 BSF, with coating of paint and/or accumulated dirt!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

I see that Henry has provided an answer. Out of curiosity, since I don't recognise such a lug on either my or my late Father's ML7s (1951 and 1965 vintages respectively), Is this the lug for mounting a chuck guard?

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

"Mark Rand" wrote

That's an interesting question, Mark I've just dug out the handbook that came with the lathe. There's no indication anywhere among its text, and umpteen drawings, of the lug. However on the front cover of the handbook is a faded sticker labelled "Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974" Can't read most of it but it seems to point out that Myford and employers are required to do their best to cut risks when the machine "is properly used"

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

The lug is used to mount the Myford lever operated collet chuck (amongst other things probably).

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree