Threading :)

Just had to share, Ive just cut my first thread. :) :) I needed to make a 5/16 x 24tpi unf bottoming tap for a blind threaded bore. it was so simple, even at 500rpm, i think my apprehesion was needed to make me concentrate fully, but a bit ott. I got a random assortment of changewheels with my harrison, of the correct tooth form, but some with the wrong bore hole in the middle, so I had to make some sleaves first, and then figure out which gears to use, as they aren a std set...

Dave

who is dead chuffed today, bored a cylinder to smack on 0.750", a crosshead guide to 0.600" and now made a tap :)

Reply to
david.sanderson

How well I remember making my first thread. Perfect, in brass too. And then I tried to screw it in .... and found it was left hand thread. It seemed so logical (and safe) to move the tool away from the chuck and run it off the end - so much for logic !

I wonder if there was a moment in time when people decided that a right hand thread was the right way and a left hand thread the wrong way ? Maybe early lathes had the headstock on the right !!

Steve

Reply to
Steve