Toolposts

Hi All,

After many years of making do with a rather inadequte (2 1/2 in. square) toolpost on my Atlas lathe I recently decided to take time out to make a new one.

At first I considered George Thomases design of indexing toolpost but then, finding John Stephenson's design for a QC toolpost, decided to make that. I am very pleased with it but a thought occurs to me though: Why not provide for indexing on a QC toolpost? After swinging it round for screwcutting it would be useful to be able to return it to exactly the square position. Has anyone any ideas for a good way to acheive that?

Regards, Russell.

P.S. thanks John for a good simple design.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

In message , Russell Eberhardt writes

[snip]

A vertical dowel through the tool-post and into its base?

Reply to
Mike H

Have a look at mine:

Charles Lamont

You suggest using something described like this: | In practice, the repeatability is not quite as good as I hoped. | I have some ideas for improving it. Meanwhile, I find this | toolpost is everything else I hoped for.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Wheras your web site is full of usefull hints, like this gem;

Everything must read, Everything check, Think about everything: On of you self-chosen examples practice you.

There are some "interesting" translations, but it gave me a good laugh.

Regards Kevin

PS Superb photo's Charles

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I don't care that much if you are useing Babelfish or Google to translate the German text on my HP.

So you have been laughing about Google, not my text. Makes me laugh about _you_!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Perhaps I will just drill a couple of dowel holes to locate the square position.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Good to see your work again Charles, I lost track of it when you changed URLs. Nice selection of tool holders. Do you have drawings you'd be prepared to share?

Babel babble or not there's a very nice model of a Swedish (?) compressor thingy in

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Myford Matt

You mean the "ELLWE 2FB" at ?

Yes, it's Swedish, but it is a 2-cylinder 2-stroke marine diesel engine. The model is running on petrol with 2 stroke oil. The carb is in the model's socket and the engine sucks the mixture through reed valves into the crank case. Spark-plugs are made by myself and are hidden in the cylinder head (or what originaly are the diesel injectors). HT-distributor and breaker points are in the model, the ignition coil is in the socket. It also has a working compressed-air starter.

Sorry that I can't find the time to translate the text, I _will_ do that. But god knows when.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about the model (thus maybe motivating me to translate some more pages :-) ).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I don't think professioal translators need to worry about being put out of work by computers just yet, but it made me smile.

They say a pictures worth a thousand words anyway, and your pictures are excelent.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

No doubt! :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nice work Charles, good photos too.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks. Although the toolpost has been in use for nearly 3 years, I have yet to get the drawings in a fit state for 'publication'. There is also a modification I want to try, but this involves a new index plate, which is not easy to make, so it is likely to be several years before I get to it. I could do an as-is, no guarantees set, with some scribbled notes, if you like. There are about 20 A4 sheets.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Thanks Charles ? an 'as is' would be most welcome. Would prefer to emai

or post the drawings?

How do you get your excellent steel finish? Grinder - or are you a expert draw filer?!

Kind regards

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

What's this Charles? You've finished the drawing for the 8mm monitor injector!

Reply to
briano

Matt. A private e-mail bounced. Try sending to me.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

I've got some, but they're M10 so probably too big for your job. I had to buy a box of 200 to get some, & they're not cheap!

Someone does put some on ebay now & then.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Yes, it's fazerblazer (Steve Lilliman) who, most probably, has still got some - the genuine thing.

Take a look at eBay item 190038688553 which shows them plus his email and phone numbers.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock