Turning thin tapered wands

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how thin tapered wands of dimensions 100mm long and 5mm at the thick end by 3 mm at the thin end would be turned in industry on a CNC lathe ? I'm especially interested to know how the steady can move back while the tool moves in the opposite direction, or is it done completely differently ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

It would be a piece of cake in a sliding head machine.Also known as Swiss turning,In this machine the material moves past the tool rather than the tool moving along the bar.Secret is to do it in one pass as you can`t retract the material for a second pass. Loads of films on youtube showing them in operation.Search for Citizen,Tsugami and Star which are the main ones.

Reply to
mark