very odd legs.

.

I called into "Half New Penny Tools" in Salisbury today - as one does - and during the usual inspection of the stock I spotted an old Moore and Wright sales display cabinet on the wall.

Amongst all the various dividers, callipers, and other measuring and marking out tools I spotted a pair of spring-bow inside callipers. What caused me a double take was that both feet were pointing in the same direction; as opposed to the more normal both pointing outwards pose.

Is this a joke on some-body's part, or is there an obscure use for such a pair?

They appeared something like this ..........

o o / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ --- --- --- ---

Normal Joke - or what ???

Answers on a postcard!!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I take you took the number? Otherwise they fit the description of: #58 Spring Type Gear Tooth Caliper, also available at the time as #343 Firm Joint. Only available in a 5" size.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Tom.

I am sure that you have solved the mystery. Yes I believe that they were numbered #58, and indeed there was a set of firm joint there as well but I did not want to muddy the water further by mentioning them.

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike

these ?

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Tom

Yes, Tom, these are the ones exactly.

Thanks again for putting me out of my misery :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the response Mark. Actually the pair I saw had two fixed feet rather than one foot and an adjustable pointer. I have always known these latter ones as 'Odd-Legs', or I believe that some people call them Jennies.

Mike

Reply to
Mike