WARCO Lathes and Millers

Hiya, Can anyone offer an opinion on the WARCO range of Lathes please? I will be buying a Lathe and Miller combo in the not vert distant future.

Rob.

Reply to
brushhead

I have a Warco VMC mill and have been pleased with it. It's Chinese and the finish is rough - you're not buying Myford or Bridgeport but you're not paying their prices either - but it's as accurate as I'm ever going to need. I spent a bit of time tightening screws here and there and replacing some slotted grub screws with proper socket heads, but all cosmetic.

Warco has a significantly better reputation for service and support than some of the other suppliers of what are essentially very similar machines. I've found them excellent. Bear in mind that all of these machines are suction pumps for money and you can spend a lot on accessories.

OTOH the general opinion around the groups seem to be that the combined lathe/mill setups (if that's what you are considering) are not much good wherever you buy from.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

No I have been told that combos are not brilliant, and I do understand the reasons why. Do I really need a Miller. The project i'm thinking of is a Simplex. I'm almost at a point where I have room for something like this.

Rob.

Reply to
brushhead

-> No I have been told that combos are not brilliant, and I do understand

If you get a miller, you'll probably use it more than your lathe ! That's my experience anyway, building a 5" loco (Glen 4-4-0)

I've had a Warco Minor mill/drill for over 10 years. It's not a Bridgport -- but is OK as long as cuts aren't too heavy. As far as after-sales service is concerned, last year the on/off switch had worn out. Had a replacement from Warco next day.

All the best, Peter W.

Reply to
Peter

Is the Sieg X3 big enough for you? That is a very popular machine and I know small professional machine shops using them, so that's where I'd start now.

I think ArcEurotrade are the official importers.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks to those that responded....might try and go and see one.

Rob.

Reply to
brushhead

A friend of mine set up an engineering training facility and bought several lathes and a mill from Warco. Service and support, as mentioned in other posts, is very good. Quality of the machines is reasonable, niggly little things on most of the lathes that were rectified. Overall feeling from this friend is that Warco are better crap than other makes.

On the other hand, the local college tutor I work with , would not allow anything from the Far East in his workshop, and I agree. Best to go for a second hand Colchester and Bridgeport mill if space and funds allow. Bob

Reply to
Emimec