Washing Machines and Holiday Breakdowns :-((

Why do domestic appliances always gasp their last on or about a holiday when you can't get spares or a service guy out?

In our case I strongly object to service engineer's extortionate charges, and we had already organised a bearing and seal kit from ebay last week, so today we set to and stripped the washing machine down.

Creda and Hotpoint use a pretty standard set of bearings and seal, so one kit covers most models. We got a set of brushes for the motor as well, but they were OK. Total price was just under £14 including postage, which is VERY favourable compared with the official service agent's prices!

The actual job took about 90 minutes - and a pack of elastoplasts.

I have never seen so many razor-sharp edges on metalwork! Even the drive pulley which was a pressure-casting had sharp edges on it that drew blood.

The motor is on top of the drum and very easy to get to. The door seal is held with piano-wire clips, one like a Jubilee clip and the other is a push-together plastic arrangement. The drive pulley is held on with a large nut, and it is threaded as well, which was unexpected.

The front of the drum is clipped to the back and it all came apart without too many problems, except that it needed more violence than I expected to shift the bearings out of the housings, and the replacements went in with some Copaslip around their circumference.

A long drift is needed to get the front bearing back inside, but that was all.

Original bearings were Polish PLT brand, replacements were mr Skefco's finest, made 'en francais'.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

holiday when you

Skefco's finest,

Peter,

You should be ashamed of yourself - doing my fellow Launderette owners out of their rightful spoils when domestic machines break down

Seriously though it is a significant source of new introductions on the service wash and ironing sides. People who would not have normally come in have to due to a break-down and continue afterwards - particularly the dinkies (dual income no kids) who use our "4 minute wash & iron" - two to drop off and two to collect

AWEM

ps if it is any consolation, a bearing change on our commercial machines is £120 for parts alone - just two normal bearings but an expensive ceramic seal

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes but that is south of Watford Gap. Up 'ere an old broom handle, three screws and a set of dolly pegs is good for another 500 miles. Ceramic seals my arse :-)

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

How was the holiday?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I've heard of false teeth...but a ceramic arse...?? Eat a lot of curries then?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Worst case of wind I've ever seen :-)

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Now that's what I call a hot one! Yowsa!!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In message , John Stevenson writes

I find too much pastry has the same effect on me...

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Our main telly and the gas oven packed up a few days before Christmas.She was going to buy a new cooker but I had one in stock,still in cardboard.Last one out a load I bought years ago.Installed it Christmas eve and naturally the oven didn`t F******* work.Faulty valve,so no turkey.Now that was a bonus. The new telly worked fine but nothing worth watching. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

We are of course more sofisticated down 'ere in the west country we use the river Dart, a washboard and a mangle!!

Regards

Isleofthanet

Reply to
isleofthanet

We are of course more sofisticated down 'ere in the west country we use the river Dart, a washboard and a mangle!!

------------- I thought River Swale might be more appropriate in view of your name, or did you escape?

Cliff Coggin Kent

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

By 'eck - a washboard and a mangle?? Luxury!

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Didn't need the washboard around Holne Chase, plenty of stones!

Mark Rand (ex Ashburton) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I escaped in 1970 and a friend who still lives there[ Margate] sent me some photos -God what a dump it has become, they seem to be either pulling all the hotels down or they are being set alight, not the quiet seaside town I remember in the fifties and also Isleofthanet is a Pullman car

Isleofthanet I

Reply to
isleofthanet

Washboard and mangel? - them buggers up north must be soft - in Dorset we make do with a few stones in a sock and squeeze the wet clothes between the buttocks of a ewe. --

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) ..."There must be an easier way...!"

Reply to
christopher

Better ewe than me, mate ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Chris Edwards explains laundry thus ..............

I bet it plays havoc with the socks Chris.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

And there was me thinking it was only west of the Severn that the sheep looked nervous...

Clothes lad? - tha were lucky. Coal dust was all we 'ad, & only that come Lammas eve ----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com

jrlloyd

John

Glad to see that electricity has been restored that far west of the Severn, was starting to think that you had abandoned us. Bearings gone on the sheep wheel?

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk