What good is it?

On a dark & unused shelf, I have discovered a high-speed pillar drill. It has a 1/3hp 3 phase motor, a 1/4in chuck, a circular rise & fall table & is rated upto 15,000rpm.

My question is: what use is it? I could put a single phase motor on it fairly easily, but what needs drilling at that speed?

Reply to
zedbert

--Many things need that sort of speed. Not with a 1/4 in drill, mind, but when you get down to #80 drills and the like 15k can be low. I've got a little drillpress that goes up to maybe 40k and it's really handy.

Reply to
steamer

PCB drilling with solid carbide drills, down to very small sizes.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Ed,

But, really handy for what sort of things?

I wasn't planning to drill any PCBs Peter, but on the other hand you never know. I've always wanted to make my own PCBs, for electronics things.

I've mounted the motor, just need to make an adaptor sleeve for the pulley, and nitromoors about 8 layers of paint off. They shure used a lot of different colours in the factory this thing came out of!

Reply to
zedbert

Aything that needs a very small hole in it

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele