Which QCTP for a Warco BH600?

Hi

Need some advice. Which quick change toolpost would folks recommend for the above lath (6" centre height).

Seems like the most common ones are the dovetail piston types. (I thin I need the 3" high block).

Most seem to look the same (on the web pictures) whether from Warco Arc, Machine-DRO or Chronos. (Warco being more expensive than anyon else though)

Is this dovetail type sufficient or would the Dixon type be a marke improvement?

Any tips about who has the cheapest price would also be appreciated

-- gn3d

----------------------------------------------------------------------- gn3dr's Profile:

this thread:

gn3dr

I had a "200" size ArcEuro one on my old Kerry (5.5" centre height). I was very pleased with it and would have one again. Certainly better than relying on repro dickson kit which, in my experience of S1 size toolholders, is variable in quality.

However the new CVA has an S2 Dickson which means I'm now on the hunt for Dickson S2 toolholders (like a lot of other people)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hi, if you have a look at the end of this thread the 200 series QCTP for the BH600 is discussed:

I have a Warco version of the 200 series QCTP which came with my BH600 and it is working well. As the topslide top surface is rather high on the BH600/900 it will not take tools over about 15.5mm high with the standard tool holder. I believe the Chronos one comes with a holding "block" which needs milling to fit the lathe T slot, not too much of a problem if you have the kit. The Warco one that I have has a ready machined T nut although to get the toolpost to lock tightly the top surface of the T nut needed reducing by about 15 thou. If you need a drawing of the T nut dimensions, let me know and I'll send you one. Additional tool holders are simple to make if you have a mill and a dovetail cutter so the tool height issue is easily solved if you use larger tools.

As a matter of personal taste I prefer the Dickson type posts that I have on my Myfords but the cost is much higher and it is very difficult to make additional holders. I certainly would not go to the extra cost for my BH600 as the 200 series works very well. I'm not up to date with prices but when I have looked in the past ArcEuroTrade were very competetive with excellent service.

Apologies for the rushed and unchecked response but life is really hectic for me at the moment. If you send me an e-mail I can let you have some pictures and drawings if that would help. If you fancy a bit of work then I recommend the excellent John Stevenson QCTP which I have made for my Boxford but must say that with the current prices of the 200 series posts it is hardly worth the effort and cost of materials to make one.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk