Whitworth 5c Collets

Is there such a thing as 5c collets with whitworth hex? If there is where would I source them from?

Reply to
Anzaniste

Andy

Try here: - it's US based but.....

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

but.....

Anzaniste

Try Barrett Tools in Halifax or thereabouts.Great source for secondhand tooling.Might be cheaper getting round ones wired out. Mark.

Reply to
mark

but.....

Not a chance :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

They're very useful but not cheap.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Cheap to me is relative to the cost of a new collet from Crawford or Hardinge.An N175 round or hex collet costs =A380 from Barretts or =A3230 from Crawford. Mark

Reply to
mark

ew collet from Crawford or

Reply to
Anzaniste

Mark

I appreciate what you say. I was basing what I said on my experiences of calling there two or three times. I wanted some lathe chuck backplates, called in hoping they might have some secondhand. They didn't, but had some new (Bison) which were clearly Very Old Stock. They looked up prices in the J&L catalogue, and tried to charge me a markup on that. I already knew the J&L prices as I'd looked there first which is why I was looking for secondhand ;-) I came away eventually with a deal I was happy with, though. When I got my first mill, years ago, I needed a vice for it. A friend who ran a local machine shop sent me there, I came away with a half-decent Abwood, & reported back to the friend as to what I'd got and what it cost. I didn't have much idea on prices then, chose the best I could afford and paid the asking price. He berated me for not having haggled with them over the price Obviously they are in business to make a profit, and will charge what they think the market will bear for used stuff. They do have a good range.

There used to be a similar place on a much smaller scale somewhere in the East Manchester area, maybe Dukinfield. I wish I could remember the name. Anyone know, and whether they're still going?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I wonder if Hardinge in Exeter have got them for £37.50 :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

They will probably have most of the collets. But hex are usually closer to 50 quid from Hardinge. You do get what you pay for though, the difference between theirs and the cheap imports is like night and day.

I find the cheap imports tend to be ground OK for size but tight when they are supposed to be open. Makes bar work a nightmare.

There's always the option of buying soft collets and milling the hex if it's large enough, or finding a friendly wire EDM man.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

A good cheap (to me) source of multibore collets is EMI-MEC Ltd.Have thousands of secondhand ones.They have a website somewhere.FWIW try tooling a multispindle lathe.Usually about =A31200 for feeders and collets before you put a bar in the machine. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Arc Euro do hexagon 5C collets for £11, but they are obviously imported ones at that price. Personally I'd be tempted to try them, most of my 5C collets are imported and they're OK. Probably wouldn't stand up to constant daily use as well as the genuine article, but most of us don't make heavy industrial use of our tools.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

They don't, however, do Whitworth sized hexagons.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Tim

Maybe you had Froggatts in mind?

They were machine tool dealers in that area although I could not find them with a quick Google search

Ian

Reply to
Ian Ph

That name doesn't ring any bells with me. All I remember is a modest sized industrial unit set on its own with a room full of mostly secondhand tooling. They probably did sell machines as well. The reason they've come to mind is that they had, 10 years ago, 3 or 4 lathe chucks on the floor with flange mounts like my DSG, if I could track them down I would see if the chucks are still there...... Also I bought a new Chinese digital height gauge from them, it lost half its functions after 6 months, thought I would take it back with a complaint (That was also 10 years ago).

Thanks

Tim

Tim Leech

Another thought. How about shimming out an AF hex one from Arc Euro with steel shim to make a whitworth size?

If you're happy with second hand collets then the accuracy will probably be similar.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping