WTD:small brass gear pair.

Sorry if this is the wrong group, but its as close to the right one I suspect I can find.

I'm an astronomer, and I am building a tracking system for my camera. The 1 rpm motor I have runs the wrong way, and I need to attach a pair of gears to simply reverse the direction of the motor.

Both shafts are 8mm dia, one is a piece of M8 threaded rod, the other is the motor shaft, which has a half flattened spine.

I need a pair of (maybe brass) gears to fit these two shafts (by grub screw). Must have a fairly high number of teeth to ensure smooth running (I think), and OD should be around 4cm.

Any pointers, suggestions, offers ?? (I am waiting for HPC to reply)

TIA

David Harris Telford Please demunge g8ina((at))blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk to reply.

Reply to
DH

As you say, HPC's catalogue provides hours of fun bedtime reading.

A couple of other suggestions: a pair of lathe change gears (e.g. Myford), 30 teeth at 20DP is about 40mm. RDG tools sell cheap ones.

You would have to bush them to fit your shafts.

Try www ProopsBrothers com . They offer a 'selection pack' of nylon gears quite cheaply.

What about Meccano gears? You would need to bore them out.

Do you need gears at all? How about pulleys and an O-ring figure-of-eight belt.

Reply to
John Montrose

Is it not possible to mount the motor the "other way up"

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Thanks for the new pointer, will give them a go. Meccano is a nogo due to spindle size - cant be bored out to even 6mm, let alone 8mm.

Pulley etc non starter due to high torque.

To the last poster, turning the motor upside down willnot change anything in this particulart setup, the only option is to get an anti clock drive looking out from the motor, turning it upside down or mounting on the other side would make it equally necessary to use a gear system :-( but thanks for the thought....

David

Reply to
DH

In message , DH writes

I know a toothed belt is not the answer for the reversing problem but for smooth transmission of high torque it can certainly deliver the goods.

Reply to
Mike H

Now sorted. Some kind soul is making me a LH threaded rod and matching set of nuts !

Ta all,

DH

Reply to
DH