A good melting polymer

Hi all.

Is there a polymer that melts in air without burning with a melting point of about 200-250°C?

My problem is the following.

I have a small cylinder (height=20 mm, diameter=6 mm) and I need to melt it with an iron plate starting from one of its bases. I would like the plastic poured along the side of the cylinder in order to fill a small box the cylinder is initially in. At least the polymer should be as hard as a plastic pen (for instance). The cost is irrilevant.

Searching on different sites I am focusing my interest on Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and Syndiotactic Polystyrene.

The first one has a too high melting point, but this is a secondary problem. The second one seems to difficult to find.

I hope I made myself clear.

Have you got any suggestion?

Thanks. For help.

Regards. Ruggiero Guida

Reply to
Ruggiero Guida

A nylon 6 (PA6) would meet your criteria of melting between 200 and 250C.

If you can control the temperature of the hot plate (iron plate) at

250-300C, you should be OK. But, if the iron plate gets very hot, any polymer, including PTFE, will decompose, and PTFE fumes are toxic, and regular PTFE does not really melt. The nylon 6 has better mechanical strength than the PTFE, but if the plastic part is will be visible, you may want to use a black nylon, as natural nylon has a tendency to yellow with age or with heating in air.

It is a good safety practice to use good ventilation when melting plastics in the open.

Regards,

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

First of all, thank you very much for answering.

Yes, I can control the hot plate temperature.

Is the Nylon 6 biocompatible (I hope is the right word!), I mean, can I use it as an earring for example?

The nylon 6 melts quite like a liquid?

Thank you very much again Ernie. I have been looking for more then two weeks for a good material. It's my first time in plastics and there are so many types!

Regards, Ruggiero

Reply to
Ruggiero Guida

It sounds like you need an adhesive that is tack free upon cure. I suggest a high MW Bisphenol A epoxy resin melt reacted with a carboxyl polyester resin. You'll need some fillers (calcium carbonate, barium sulphate, etc.) This would be a hybrid epoxy system. Moderate weatherability, good chemical resistance and very strong. You can cure this material a 250 deg F in 20 min. Once cured it will not remelt. One idea is to go to a powder coatings mfg and get a sample since you don't need much.

Joe

Reply to
Reynoldsjoe1

Guida, Hi I work at Dow Chemical and can provide you with syndiotactic polystyrene. Tm is around 275C. How much do you need ? Is this an interesting application or just a research trial ?

Kind Regards, mark

Reply to
Mark van Heeringen

Thank you very much for answering.

This is the initial condition before melting. ___________ ___________ would be a hybrid epoxy system. Moderate weatherability, good chemical

Reply to
Ruggiero Guida

Thank you for the information.

Actually I am still looking for the right choice.

It is actually a really interesting application and I am doing the preliminary research for it.

Regards, Ruggiero

Reply to
Ruggiero Guida