Acrylic blanks technique

Anyone knows some resources on how to produce acrylic blanks yourself?? I might not have the right name for this, as I can see acrylic, acetate, resin, epoxy and celleuloid is named too.

I need blanks in 2x2x16 inch, so if I could make a 20x20x32 block for cutting, it would be great.

I am starting a business where I need this for drilling and lathe turning. Buying from pen-blanks providers is much to expensive.

I have money to buy machinery if this is needed. I can pay for a great helping add.

Material I need is like this:

ANY help will do,- even just a link to a webpage or a book.

Thanks HFranke

Reply to
hf

You might try asking Lucite:

could make casting resin and make anything you want. Would require good temperature control and fume venting. Lucite sells methyl methacrylate monomer and Elvacite grades of polymer where I think all you have to do is mix resin with monomer and heat up under conditions where bubbles do not nucleate.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Frank, there is an acrylic liquid and hardener that can be used to embed objects. No additional heating is needed. I wonder how it works without the need for heat? Just slower perhaps?

-S

Reply to
SimonLW

[...]

There are low temperature catalysts but mass will heat up with heat of polymerization. The system I recommended is probably relatively inexpensive. The resin advised contains residual catalyst which when mixed with MMA allows cure. Use of the resin, already polymerized, results in less need for removing heat of polymerization.

There are numerous acrylic repair kits containing monomer and catalyst but would probably be too expensive to cast large parts. They will cure at low temperature since mass is small and heat of polymerization easily dissipated.

Frank

Reply to
Frank