Acrylic questions (historic)

I work a lot with acrylics (cutting, bending, cementing) and I've always been curious about things. I appreciate the responses to my past questions in the group, but now I've come up with more.

It seems no matter who I call to get price quotes on a sheet of acrylic, I'm always quoted extruded material. It seems that it has become the general purpose material - at least in my short time in dealing with it. From reading about it years ago, I always though sheets were made by cell casting method. I know the materials have slightly different properties and costs, but I was curious as to when extruding first originated, and when it became common.

If anyone can give me a brief history of acrylics, I'd be grateful. For example, I can find lots of information about the evolution of flat glass manufacture, but nothing on acrylic. It is like back in 1936, POOF there it is!

Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnR