Acrylic acid alternative

Hi!!! I've foung the following product from Kemira: Colloid 148. This product have a performance like polyacrylates but it is manufactured from other kind of material cheapest than acrylic acid. Could someone tell me more about this new raw material?? Thanks

Reply to
SCV

Interesting question. This site discusses the 148 some:

refers to it as a non-acrylic acid based PAA. The best I can figure is that it is like a non-vinyl alcohol based PVA.

(Poly vinyl alcohol is made by hydolysis of polyvinyl acetate since vinyl alcohol does not exist as a monomer - it undergoes an enol rearrangement to form formaldehyde.)

Maybe they are taking a polyacrylate and hydrolyzing it to the acid? You could try calling Kemira and see if they will tell you a little bit more.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

A guess would be that it contains a polymerizable acid (with a double bond), such as maleic, instead of acrylic.

Reply to
Colin Cook

But would you expect maleic acid to be cheaper than acrylic?

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

But maleic acid doesn't polymerize with itself at acrylic acid conditions

Reply to
SCV

acetaldehyde.

H2C=CHOH -> H3C-CHO

H O - H H O \ / | // C = C - > H - C - C / \ | \ H H H H

"vinyl alcohol" acetaldehyde

I googled and found quite a few other people who think the product is formaldehyde. I wonder where that idea came from?

By the way, using "enol rearrangement" as a term will make you appear as a rookie. Strictly speaking there is no such thing as an "enol rearrangment". "Keto-enol rearrangement" is the preferred term, even though acetaldehyde is not a ketone - the aldehydes can be considered as a subgroup of the ketones for this purpose, as both have C=O bonds. (Relax, ALL of us were rookies at one point in time!)

:)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Arrrgh! Caught again. At least I'm in good company. Linus Pauling can't say that he was always real careful with this rearrangement either.

Maybe the missing carbon is the unidentified sink in the global carbon cycle?