Conducting polymers: Processibility

Hi! all

I am a newbie in the field of polymers and would appreciate your help in understanding some concepts relating to instrinic conduting polymers (like polyacetlyne / thiophene / pani / pedot etc).

  1. Firstly, most polymers can be classified as elastomers / plastics / fibers. Is this a complete classification or are there any other ways to understand the big picture? Which group do the conducting polymers fall into. Also, plastics can be either thermoplastics or thermosets. Why is that no one talks about conducting polymers in this way? (I understand that conducting polymers undergo thermal decomposition before melting, esp in the presence of oxygen, light. Now does it mean we can observe glass transistion temperature if we conduct experiments in vacuum while blocking UV/infrared light?

  1. Where can i find info on molecular weight / viscosity changes/ phase transistion wrt temeperature of pedot/pani or other conducting polymers?. Also are there any studies on the surface energies of dry films?

  2. What kind of phase transistions happen when i heat a dry film of pedot-pss / pedot (from other methods) / pani etc.

  1. Any basic articles on processability of polyacetylene / Polythiophene etc (esp insolubility in solvents; compression molding or other studies)

  2. Some substituted conjugated polymers (like MEH-PPV) are soluble in organic solvents. Are they dispertions or solutions? In particular, does it mean that i can etch a PPV structure by puttting a dry film (after spin coating) in toulene to redissolve the PPV?

  1. I also read somewhere that the holy grail of current research is to find a thermoplastic conducting polymer. I would appreciate any comments on progress in this field.

  2. Lastly, can someone recommend useful books for me to get strated on polymer classification / thin film fabrication / selection of solvents etc. (My background is in engineering).

Thanks a lot!

Regards Nemo

Reply to
Nemo

I'll answer what I can. My books are all packed away right now, so I can't pull out all the details that I would like.

Elastomers are crosslinked polymers, while "plastics" are generally uncrosslinked. Fibers are not really appropriate for this classification as that is a macroscopic shape, not a descriptor of microscopic details.

Thermoplastics, although that implies a greater degree of processability than they currently have.

This is a classification that I learned early on, but rarely use. Again, it is more macroscopic in nature and doesn't necessarily inform about microscopic details that are far more important.

Thermal decomposition experiments can be easily run under nitrogen atmospheres to avoid reactions such as with oxygen.

There are a number of books out there now on the subject, as well as review articles.

The TRUE Holy Grail would also be cheap. The last I knew, PANI was $30/lb.

I would not get hung up on classifications. Nature loves to be beyond any groups that humans create, and clever scientists and engineers love to go beyond those limits as well. Polymers were originally such a beast, in fact.

There is a wonderful book by Barton, CRC Press about polymer and solvents. It not nearly as well known as it should be.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

But thermoplastics have a defined Tg while intrinsic conducting polymers (ICP) dont right? In this case, do you any info on how the viscosity of ICP varies with temperature? (I know i am bit hung up with these classifications as i want to have a good overiew of how to classify polymers in general)

I'll try to get hold of this. Thanks for the advise.

Reply to
Nemo

Now you've really opened a can of worms! "A defined Tg" you say?! I've seen geeky mild-mannered physicists nearly come to blows over an idea like that. But that's a separate topic that we can get into later. For now, let's assume that a defined Tg does exist.

Many thermoplastics such as the polyolefins crystallize when they cool at a defined crystallization temperature. Well... actually they don't. That's a whole other can of worms but one that is less likely to cause a riot.

Other polymers such as polystyrene, polymethylmethacrylate, and polycarbonate go not crystallize when they cool. However, after reaching a certain temperature, they do become solid, or glassy, hence the name glass transition temperature. (Crystalline polymer upon further cooling will also show a glass transition temperature).

Unless the ICP is liquid all the way down to 0 K, it will show a Tg. And that is the case with all known ICP's and it probably will always be that way.

Unfortunately my books are all packed away at the moment, but I would suspect that conductivity would decrease with increasing temperature, similar to that of normal conductors (even though te conduction mechanism is different in the two cases).

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

Hallo....

few years ago I have published some reviews about the processability of conductive polymers...

You can find them at:

Within this publication list there are 3 publications (pdf-files) related to your topic

Best regards

Günter Beyer

riks snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nemo) wrote:

Reply to
Dr.Guenter Beyer

Dear Beyer,

Thanks a lot for the info. The papers provide me with useful info. I'll go thru it in detail again and post any followup comments here.

Regards Nemo

Reply to
Nemo

After a long spring in Organometallic Chemistry, I myself am involved in this field made glorious summer of polymer chemistry.

I would recommend youas a basic reading "textbook of Polymer Science" by Billmeyer Jr. It's old (80's) but covers a wide range of topics in polymer chemistry

1) Fibers, Hard plastics, soft plastics ans elastomers are a classification according to the DEFORMATION UNDER TRACTION. The order above lists the more resistant first. You often can mold a plastic into a fiber by a thermal process. Although resistance is linked to chemical constitution, it's not FULLY determined by that and this is ONLY one possible classification

2) Thermoplastic and thermoset compreend ANOTHER classification .Thermoplastics "melt" (let's just say it becomes fluid) and are soluble (let's not go in details) while thermosets aren't. Thermosets usually have crosslinked chains, which prevents them from solubilising or melting.

Those two classifications are based on macroscopic properties of polymers; there are several other classifications you can make. Learn polymer classifications can help you, but you need to know how to use them (as everything in life) You see, you may be a a)man or a woman; b)an US-citizen or an European citizen; may not be - under normal conditions - classified as a man AND a woman at the same time, but you can be a man and an US-citizen...

"Nemo" escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
João Antonio