Edible polymers???

I love to eat polymers, because they are so tasty.
Which polymers are edible???

Rita B. Flesh schrieb:

You think you are a joker, right? In popular usage polymers means plastics. Most people forget about biopolymers. Starch, cellulose, proteins and peptides are also polymers - most of them edible. DNA is also a biopolymer ...and edible. There is no life without them.
Cheers Volker
... suggest chewing gum ...
Rita B. Flesh wrote:

Yeah.. Chewing gum are polyesters....

Yo, Rolf. I remember this as a legitimate question a couple of times back when I was in Regulatory Affairs. My stock answer was that while the polymer may have FDA approval for food contact, we did not recommend eating them. Cases I remember where an extruder plastic part was coming apart and not discovered until after a lot of candy was made and feeding of scrap candy bars which may contain traces of wrappers to farm animals. Frank
Hi Frank, sounds fair! However, could this kind of issue of plastic parts coming apart, not also occur in regular food processing machines, thus making vegetables, meat, baby food, you name it, contaminated and therefor unedible? Rolf
Frank wrote:

I believe it was an extruder gear made out of Delrin. Delrin was not one of my polymers but I was answering the question for absent Delrin consultant. When candy maker opened machine for cleaning, gears were falling apart and he wanted to know if candy was safe to sell. I couldn't imagine him wanting to sell candy that might result in a buyer's breaking his teeth on.