Extruder Screw Design

Can someone explain to me the major differences between a screw which is designed for LDPE and one which is designed for Propylene. Is it possible to have a screw which will extrude both resins half decent.

Thanks

Reply to
PAUL

My experience is that getting screwed has been problematic enough that I haven't actually had to worry about what was being extruded yet. Please keep us updated.

Dunty Porteous,

1959 Recipient of the Prestigious Y-Chromosome Award

-- "Oh great nu-monet, demon of the seventh pit of Gnarrrath-Xpltl, help me get laid!"

-John H. Schneider II

"I take my women the way I take my coffee. Cold, bitter, and with a fly perched on the rim."

-Artemia Salina

Reply to
Dunter Powries

It depends on the application and the specific grades of each resin, percent crystalinity, MFI, expected ourput rates needed and drive HP among other things.

The short answer is yes, you can either do half decent though it may be more profitable to spend a few bucks up front and do each one very well.

Reply to
L Alpert

Reply to
David Strutt