injection molding Viton, tool wear

I'm striking out in finding articles on tool wear in injection molding Viton type materials. I imagine the dies will wear more quickly with fluoropolymers than with other polymers. Does anyone have any reference articles they can point me to?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fluoropolymers will need nickel content metals for tools. Hastelloy or Incolnel are normally used. Bimetallic barrel liners with hastelloy backing are available, as well as hastelloy feed screws. Anything else (i.e.: the normal tool steels) will not last long.

Of course, nickel based tools are softer, and will wear faster, especially if you use the equipment/tools for other materials that are abrasive.

For extrusion, we change out the barrels and screws for fluoropolymerson on the smaller machines (1.5" and down).

Reply to
L Alpert

You might also want to contact DuPont Performance Elastomers for their recommendations

I've used chromed tooling and high chrome stainless stell for chloroelastomers. They're abit harder than the nickel tooling but I'm not sure about the resistance to HF.

Larry Effler

Reply to
Larry Effler