Making injection pump spindles?

I need to sort out a poorly Crossley diesel injection pump. I have 3 spare pump bodies at my disposal, one with the pump plunger seized in place (don't yet know how badly), two with no plunger. The one on the engine is leaking too much, presumably past the plunger, to reliably develop injection pressure at starting speed. I'm sure Crossleys won't want to know, so unless anyone has a pump barrel & plunger in their back pocket for a BW1 we're stuck with making one or getting one made. It's a fairly simple affair, around 1/4" bore, no spiral grooves etc like the CAV/Bosch type, otherwise I wouldn't even conteplate the job. Does anyone have any suggestions about materials, heat treatment etc etc? Know anyone who has done this sort of work or had it done?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Tim:

Is this a special Crossley assembly or a modified CAV part?

As far as the plunger and barrel go, it would have to be a very fine lapped fit to get anything like a decent pumping action, so I wonder if in fact this is a diesel pump or a sprayer pump?

If a full diesel then you are into some precision work.

Got a chuck and collects here for you from Charles, I'll be dropping them off next week, probably Tuesday.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

No, it's the original Crossley special. Hence no spiral metering grooves, the metering is done with a separate plunger assembly.

I'm well aware of that

Sprayer in what sense?

I've been pondering, if there's a half-decent bore among the 3 that we have, getting a worn plunger hard chromed & ground to a thou or so oversize, & then lapping it until it fits. I've never tried lapping hard chrome, I've no idea how feasible that might be. Any views, anyone?

Great news

Many thanks

Tim

Tim Leech