IRHD hardness and temperature

Dear sirs, How the hardness IRHD changes at increase and decrease of temperature, if it is known, that the module of elasticity of rubbers grows at increase of temperature. It is known that hardness IRHD connected with the module of elasticity and is counted on its basis. At the same time the Shore hardness decrease with increase of temperature, though it is known, that the Shore hardness is also connected with the hardness IRHD.

aleks.p.k

Reply to
aleks.p.k

I'm not aware of any relationship between hardness and modulus that works for all elastomers or polymers. You are right that in general modulus increases with increasing hardness. However, in my experience each type of polymer has its own unique relationship between hardness and modulus that has to be determined experimentally.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Effler

Ok, how the IRHD will vary, if temperature is increased?

Reply to
aleks.p.k

In general, I would expect that hardness will decrease as the temperature increases. The exact relationship will depend upon the polymer family of interest (e.g., HDPE, PP, PMMA, etc.)

Larry Effler

Reply to
Larry Effler