connection between the hardness and other physicomechanical characteristics of plastics

Dear sirs,

I have two questions: is there a connection between the hardness and other physicomechanical characteristics of plastics; between what characteristics it is possible to carry out the correct conversion. Is there this conversion for teflon?

Sincerely, Alexander Kren

snipped-for-privacy@iaph.bas-net.by

Reply to
Alexander Kren

Hardness is somewhat of a surface property. (I say "somewhat" in that it is always measured at the surface, but measuring it on a thin film is very difficult.) The remaining mechanical properties are bulk properties. There may well be a correlation between the two, but it is weak and not accurate.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

Typically the harder the material the higher its modulus and tensile strength and the lower its elongation to break. However, that's just a rule a thumb and the exact correlation between hardness and the other physical properties vary from one family of materials to another. For example the correlation for polyethylene would be different than ABS.

Larry Effler

Reply to
Larry Effler