modify AIBN initiated PMMA by LiAlH4

hi, there,

I am new to polymer chemistry, pardon me if this is a stupid question.

I have some AIBN initiated PMMA. Is there any chance we can change the CN group inherited from AIBN on the PMMA chain ends to amine group by reacting in THF with LiAlH4?

Thank you.

Xin

Reply to
Xin Zhang

I would worry that you would reduce the esters as well as the nitriles. I don't have any specific experience/reference to point to however.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

unlikley -you will reduce the ester groups in PMMA as well. It may be possible to hydrogenate it

Reply to
Anne-Marie Tangney

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I am worrying about.

Xin

Reply to
Xin Zhang

Thank you for the information.

Xin

Reply to
Xin Zhang

Why not try an initiator that is already amine-functionalized? Look up a company called Wako Azo initiators - they have a good selection of products.

Reply to
JES1967

great. Thank you very much.

Xin