POLYMERIC NITROGEN SYNTHESISED

What do you think about this?

The new single-bonded nitrogen phase could serve as a high-energy storage material, report Max Planck researchers in Mainz, Germany

Nitrogen, the major constituent of air, usually consists of inert molecules where two atoms are strongly triple-bonded. Now, researchers of the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry have synthesised a polymeric cubic form of nitrogen where all atoms are connected with single covalent bonds, similar to carbon atoms in diamond. This cubic phase has not been observed previously in any element. It possesses unique properties such as energy capacity: more than five times that of the most powerful explosives (Nature Materials, August 2004, published online 4 July 2004).

Neutron

I would hardly call it "polymeric" unless you want to accept diamonds as polymers. "Will you marry me dear? I have a one carat piece of plastic as a symbol of my love."

The technology is interesting but not scalable. Legumes and other plant forms are able to enzymatically split the nitrogen triple bond at less than room temperature. Now that's neat and scalable.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

I threw away the C&EN that mentioned it but recall it is only stable under extremely high pressure. Couldn't get too excited about it. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Sounds interesting, but only if it can be controled and scaled up to some usable format. It seems a little too powerful for use in any ordinary application, and too unstable for use anywhere but a very controlled environment.

ghostwriter

Reply to
ghostwriter