PVP and PEDOT

Hi,

i am doing research on organic transisitors. So far I have received good results with hybrid OFETs - gold and silicon electrodes - using P3HT. By preparing the next step, replacing the electrodes with BaytronP (PEDOT/PSS as an aquaeous dispersion), i read various papers, in which BaytronP and PVP(Polyvinylphenol) are being used. Therefore i tried to reproduce these results but unfortunately i have problems in getting a good insulating layer of PVP. It seems that BaytronP attacks the PVP layer and thus causes short-cuts. I have changed the molecular weight (8.000 - 20.000), the solvent (Isopropanol, Ethanol), the spinning parameters and the following treatment (different annealing temperatures, vaccum exposure) - without a satisfying result.

Does anyone know, whether there is an interaction between BaytronP and PVP and if so, what can be done to avoid this interaction?

Ron

Reply to
Ronald M. Meixner

I'm not sure, but I think that there is an ion exchange going on between the two. The BaytronP's acid groups are reacted with sodium, presumably to make it water dispersable in a solution. The phenol in the PVP polymer chain is slightly acidic, and the sodium ions might be migrating over. If you could methylate the sour hydrogens on the phenol groupings, or to be more practical, replace the PVP with a more inert polymer such as polystyrene, that might solve your problem. However, from your post I cannot tell what the object of your research is, and therefore do not know if such a solution might interfere with other research goals.-Jitney

Reply to
jitney