Re: Chill roll cleaning systems

snipped-for-privacy@wd.winpak.com (Drago) wrote in message

I don't have a solution, but will suggest that you be more careful in asking the question. Propylene monomer is a gas at room temperture since it boils at minus 49 C. Amide monomer does not have a unique composition, since it is a copolymer.
While this may seem like I'm being excessively picky, it's not the case. If you can find a system to fit your needs, you will need to know what it is your are actually trying to clean off the roll in order to choose the appropriate cleaning agents. Have an analysis done of the current cleaning rags to see what it is.
John
snipped-for-privacy@wd.winpak.com (Drago) wrote in message

Hi,
being a bit on the pedantic side here, but a build up of momomer would be propene (gas) and omega-aminocarboxylic acid or diammonium salt of a dicarboxylic acid (solid), maybe acid halides or so (liquid). Is the roll externally or internally cooled with water? External cooling would dissolve your polyamide "monomers" and get rid of them. If it is internally cooled and there's no contact with the residues, you are probably looking for a good brush.
Sorry.. this all sounds like i am trying to take the piss. But all i want to say is that you shouldn't be too sure about the identity of the substances on the surface of the roll.
hope i didn't make yer problem worse
dave
Drago,
I've heard the low mole weight stuff called "polymer grease". Personally I call it "half-baked plastic". Either way, the composition is extremely variable. Sometimes it's soluble in ordinary solvents, sometimes not.
Walter.

I've seen some facilities use a soft brass wool to clean the chill rolls. Would something like that help out? The wool must be a good deal softer than the chill roll.
Michael