Removing polymer from test tubes

Hi,

I have been synthesizing PMMA from MMA with benzoin methyl ether in some glass test tubes and was wondering if anyone knew how I can remove the PMMA once polymerization is complete.

Cheers

Reply to
benz85

Try chlorinated solvents or ketonic ones, such as chloroform, chlorobenzene, methylene chloride, or MEK Mixtures reported to be good for PMMA are isopropanol / MEK 1:1 by weight at temperature above 25°C, or ethanol / carbon tetrachloride. However, if molecular weight is too high, dissolution may be long. Be patient !

Hope this will help Regards

Nicolas DELFAU

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Nicolas DELFAU

Beat it to the punch. Treat the tube with silane prior to running the reaction.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

Actually you do not have to make the polymer in glass since you are making in bulk and do not need to stir. Just find a reaction vessel that it does not stick to. For information purposes you might google what they use for casting PMMA. Frank

Reply to
Frank