sheet plastics for thermoforming

I've been vacuum molding this tray (at home on a thermoformer i made) out of .030 hips. When the plastic cools, it is quite brittle where the draws have taken place - they are shallow draws and are not too thin...just brittle. It is not a problem except that I have to cut them out by hand and it is cracking under the scissor rather than cutting. Is there a softer sheet that could be easier to cut? The only example of what I'm looking for that comes to mind is a "Lunchables" tray. When you step on it, it simply crushes...no cracking. I am wondering if HDPE, ABS, or LDPE would have less hardness in the molded product as opposed to HIPS. Regardless of the brittle problem - I need something more flexible. What is a 2 liter soda bottle made of? If that came in sheet form it might work well.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew P

Wow...razor blade much better than scissors for cutting hips. Problem solved. I also learned that soda bottles are made from PET. I can't find PET sheet anywhere...but my suppliers are limited to those that sell to the public.

Reply to
Andrew P

I don't think thermoformable sheet is made by any PET manufacturer. They make resins and customers cast their own sheets for their thermoforming operations. If you want to try a clear sheet, Lucite acrylic sheets are available at large hardware stores like Lowes but if all you are making is a tray other materials like you are using are probably less expensive. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

That is a basic problem with PS. It will be brittle upon thermoforming unless you use a special grade of PS to make the sheet (with a higher rubber content).

Is there a softer sheet that could be easier to cut? The

Most food grade thermoformed food trays, that "When you step on it, it simply crushes...no cracking" are olefin based (PE or PP) and many are multi layer (PP,EVOH, PE,EVA)The olefins, by their nature are much easier to thermoform and the retain a "rigid flexibility" (if that make sense).Healthy CHoice slice lunch meat comes in olefin thermofomed containers. Also Glad makes resealable thermoformed containers out of PP(?) I am wondering if HDPE, ABS, or LDPE would have less

PVC, HDPE, PP or PET all perform better than PS in most thermoforming operations (Although SOLO CUP has made billions of the "cozy cup" coffee cups from PS)

When you buy a "super gulp" 44oz drink, many of those cups are thermoformed PP.

What is a 2 liter

Soda bottles are made of PET. I played with some extruded PET sheet, .080-.090" and it was just about bullet proof. It thermoformed very well and the the strength was unbelievable. A good example of PET sheet thermoformed is the cake tray or deli tray (the bottom is black or another color and the top is clear or the clam shell that is blac/clear.

Good luck Greg

Reply to
Gjpostma

Yeah the Solo lid for Starbucks looks like HIPS...and that probably explains the brittle behavior by the deep draws. This is the PP I can get:

I really don't need .030, though...more like .020 or .015. I wish I could get my hands on a some PET sheet...sounds like nice stuff. I've done some searching for it and it appears to be gaining popularity in sheet form. Though I had no idea people would buy pellets and extrude their own sheets for vacuum forming...I though they would just buy it on a roll by the ton.

I am impressed with HIPS for thermoforming up until you get the brittle finished product. Though I could imagine in higher thickness the end product is much more durable. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to experimenting with some new plastics.

Reply to
Andrew P

Thank you for your responses.

Reply to