The surging trouble of PP Film

The process is T-die and base resin is PP. Temp. condition is 300 degree, Line speed is 100rpm. MIF is 15~18g/10min. The PP composite is including Recycling PP about 30%. We can not reduce the recycling PP content. The surging problem is a real pain in the neck. Please help me.

And I confuse the surging with Melt fracture.. I am sure that that problem is surging trouble. But What is melt fracture? Are those same problems or Not ?

Reply to
canizaro

Extrusion surging or melt fracture can be caused by feedstock, feeding, = conveying and/or melting issues, which you may have to address step by = step. I suggest you get your hands on books like the following, for = troubleshooting advice:

sample page
Go to "
" and search for "extrusion surging" to = "surge suppression" to obtain book-links to:
?id=3D2KSbTcdYv9QC&printsec=3Dfrontcover&sour=ce=3Dgbs_summary_r&cad=3D0#PPA1496,M1 On melt fracture see:
Additives for eliminating melt fracture are suggested here:

In short: could your surging problem be related to:

  • "too large" differences in pellet shape and/or size between virgin and = recycled PP
  • "wrong" feeding zone design
  • "wrong" screw design and/or screw vs barrel surfaces=20
  • "wrong" temperature profile
  • ...

canizaro wrote:

Reply to