Chamfering a slot in a piece of tube.

I have a piece of tube that will have 3 slots machined .250" from the end and are 1.500" long. The slots will be .250" wide and have radiuses at each end of .250". The slots must have a 30 degree chamfer around the periphery of the slot. I tried the chamfer console and it will only allow me to use 0x0 or 01x02. I cannot get the chamfer on the slot for some reason. The chamfer must start at the bottom edge of the slot and open up toward the sides of the tube at 30 degrees.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

How about a variable section sweep? Normal to projection: make an embedded datum plane through the two long sides of your slot to use as your direction reference.

Reply to
graminator

Hmm... I never noticed this limitation. It must have something to do with placing a chamfer on a round surface. The easiest workaround I can think of is to just use the O1 X O2 option and calculate for yourself what the two distances should be. For example, if you wanted a 30deg chamfer with a .05" long side, then the other leg would be equal to .05*tan(30) = 0.0288. That way you don't have to mess around with VSS and trajectories. It's still one clean chamfer feature in your model tree. If you want to be able to easily adjust the chamfer w/ o repeated trig calcs, you can easily create a relation that calculates O2 based on O1.

Reply to
takedown