cut one solid by a surface

Hello, I want to limit one solid (one extruded simple solid) by a surface. This surface is a yacht hull, so it is a complicated surface. I want to design one tank limited by the hull, so if I could put one solid and then remove the with the hull surface then I would have the tank tailored to the hull. Anyone knows how to make this?? Thanks

Reply to
pitosYflautas

If you can create the solid as a surface then you can use "combine" or "trim" to get the shape. Depending on whether the tank is part of the hull or not you may have to use "copy geometry" and/or "offset" (hull surface).

-john king

-redondo beach

Reply to
jk

How about 'Edit>Offset' using a copy of the hull surface in the manner of the old 'Tweak>Replace' which would 'trim' your solid to the contour of the surface. This 'Offset' function now combines 8 old functions, including 'Tweak>Replace', so it is well worth reading up on. Descriptions and examples are available in the Help menus.

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks for both, I finally use copy geometry from hull, sketched the tank, project the curve into the surface, trimmed the surface of the hull to obtain one side, constructed the different surfaces, combined and solidified. A very time consuming task, BUT, there is one function called solidify that I could use one quilt to 'cut out' the solid if it would work. Or even the function Edit/Component Operations/Cut Out. When I can use these functions (it is very difficult) then I obtain one error message that reads: "The selected entity is external. It cannot be backed up."

If one quilt could be used easily to cut out one solid, then this process would be much more quick.

Thanks,

"David Janes" escribió en el mensaje news:HD1Sd.84100$bu.3262@fed1read06...

Reply to
pitosYflautas

In 200I^2 it's feature / cut / use surface

you can also use datum planes as surfaces for cuts.

Reply to
John Wade

Very good. I did not know about the offset options. Thanks.

-john king

Reply to
jk

Glad it helped. But just in case 'pitosYflautas' didn't get it, here's a step-by-step procedure for making a tank that conforms to the inside of the hull surface.

  • Place or create tank component inside the hull. Make it a solid, its geometry ought to be extensible to the inside hull surface or extend past it on the sides.
  • In assembly, with the tank part 'Activate'd, select the hull surfaces which will form the boundary of the tank. These will highlight pink, keep selecting surfaces with the Ctrl key. Then copy them (^C, ^V ~ Copy/Paste). Click the green check to finish.
  • Select the ends of your tank, the ones that face the hull surfaces. Go to the Edit menu and do Offset. Look for the offset type icon and hit the expand arrow, select the bottom wavy icon (Replace Surface Feature). Pick the replace surface and hit the green check. The end(s) of the tank now live in this surface and absorb it. They will either extend to meet it or trim back to it.

Now that the outside geometry is established, you can shell the thing and build whatever else you need on it. This seems considerably more straightforward than the other stuff pitosYflautas was doing. It has the added benefit that the original copied suface could be offset first to give the tank some room between its walls and those of the tank (room for anchoring hardware, vents, gages, wiring, etc.), but maintaining the hull surface contours.

Reply to
David Janes