Clue about weird IGES Surface?

I was given the IGES file below which represents one half of a symmetrical yacht
hull. But no matter how I try I cant seem to create a solid out of it... It
doesn't want to be thickened at all, and if I mirror it and stitch it up with a
top and back patch, I get a complete enclosed surface but "Try To Form Solid"
silently fails :-(
Anyone experienced in this area care to give it a try and maybe give me a clue
as
to why?
Cheers,
/C
(on 2006sp2)
----------------> Cut here
Reply to
Chebeba
I'll have a go if you want to zip it up and send it over. I've had pretty good luck in the past with these sorts of yhings.
Reply to
John R. Carroll
The entire IGES file was in my post, actually. Very small ;-)
But to my utter astonishment the thickening part of the problem was fixed by installing ServicePack 3! Still can't do a Surface-Knit to solid, though.
/C
Reply to
Chebeba
OK, As I indicated, if you want a solid zip up the file and send it or just send it as an attatchment. When I cut and paste the text I get a read error.
Reply to
John R. Carroll
The shape is not flat at the symmetry plane. If you project the edges into a sketch on the top plane (plane of symmetry), you can see that there is a little discrepancy at the bow. That means that there are gaps when you mirror it.
To show this, I trimmed the surface back from the plane of symmetry by .1 m, mirrored it, and then patched the trimmed out section with a loft. After this I was able to create the rest of the faces and knit into a solid and shell. This is not what you are looking for, but it does show where the problem is.
Anyway, here's a link to my part: http:\\mysite.verizon.net\mjlombard\x.SLDPRT matt
Reply to
matt
matt skrev:
That was actually pretty darn close to what I want!! Works for me. Thanks a bunch! /C
Reply to
Chebeba